Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The situation around the world now is so devastating.

The Myanmar cyclone, followed by the Earthquake in southwestern China and just on Saturday Tornado hitting America. How coincident it is that all these natural disaster are happening in countries who also faced issues internally. The Burmese are having some political struggle with its military government and after which the cyclone happened. China's internal strife regarding the Tibetans and the disruptive journey of the Olympics torch and now the Earthquake. America's weakening economy and then the Tornado. Just some correlations that struck my mind when I am thinking about the natural disasters that had been happening.

One fine day, a natural disaster could happen to Singapore as well. Do not take our "strategic location" for granted, thinking that any disasters that happen could be "blocked" by our neighbours. With the environment and global climate going haywire, you can never know what would happen. Hard to say. I agree with what Lee said that something bad will surely happen during the lifespan of the Y Generation.

Busy weekend for me, helping my mom out and also preparing for my interviews this week. Two 2nd rounds of interview tomorrow, 1 interview with 1 of the leading wires for financial information and news and another with a FMCG giant in the cosmetics & toiletries industry. To think that I blew the first rounds away, grateful that 2nd chance is here. Pisses me off to see the SMU article this weekend boasting about the number of graduates getting job offers before graduation and the increased average pay that the 2007 batch is getting. In 2006, the average pay was $2850. In 2007, the average pay is freaking $3000+. I am pissed off because they painted such a rosy picture for everyone to see and I do not see that it applies to everyone in the co-horde. I rejected 2 offers before graduation but getting offered before graduation aint a big thing to boast about, a lot of factors have to be considered before saying that a offer is a good offer. The average pay figure sometimes gives SMU students a false expectations on their future pay. Ah wells, unless I am one of those receiving the average pay probably then I wouldnt be complaining about it.

--- blog break---

This is hilarious.

I took a break from blogging this post as Raymond called and after talking to him for 1 minute I START TO NOSE BLEED!!! I am blogging now while I try to stop the blood from flowing out profusely. Goodness, imagine what will happen if this happens during my interview tomorrow. It better not happen.

I had a great week last week despite all this. No clubbing at all. Met up with a lot of friends, Met up with Ron & Nat, Secondary school friends, cookout at Geraldene's, 5 different birthdays- Mitchy mitch's, Minyu, Debbie, Amy & Siying. I watched NACHO LIBRE on HBO earlier, its hilarious!

Time to rest... till the next time.

XOXOxxXXoOoo

8 comments:

unscholarly scholar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
unscholarly scholar said...

haha I how hot, make your nose bleed. It's actually quite funny.. hahahaha.

Sepoy Montfort said...

stella,

i thought of one thing that could happen as predicted.

a world wide epicdemic that has no cure and is air-born.

caught a show the following day. it was exactly what i had imagined. the avian flu virus that mutated faster than finding a cure and killing faster than anything in the world.

the black death in medieval times changed the world and europe.

the world war 1 n 2 changed the world and europe

surely, we will live to see something in this century,

think about it.

an epicdemic.

money is useless, shortage of food, no human labor to work, collapse of every fabric that makes up the modern society


lee

Anonymous said...

If you can spell cohort as co-horde I can see why the figures look astronomical for you

Class of 2010

Anonymous said...

stella!

i agree with what you say about the school. my family members are all bugging me about it.
-___-

good luck with your interviews =)
need any books? HAHAHA

anna

Anonymous said...

oh whow, a typical jackass comment.

lee

Alvin Xie said...

hmm.. anonymous from Class of 2010.. someone without the guts to say who he or she is..

well, i guess that's what happens to young kids nowadays who probably don't spend real time with their friends, relatives or family but rather live a life of a stalker, commenting on the most unnecessary parts of a discussion: spelling mistakes.

Anyway, getting back to topic, as I was talking to Raymond last night, I had the same thoughts as well; that such news of high-earning graduates may promote successful chances of salary negotiations, I don't believe that ANY graduates, be it SMU, NTU or NUS, should start work thinking that they have every right to the position and salary given.

My point is, no matter what your GPA is, no matter what your CCAs are or what competitions you won, a new employee should always be thankful to the company that hires him or her. And such news about salaries ain't helping.

unscholarly scholar said...

Wow. There are actually mobile spell checkers around. Interesting, and funny.