Finally im blogging…
MY 2 weeks KHAO LAK volunteering TRIP
Didn’t wanna blog cause wanna wait till I know how to put pics up then blog but.. oh well.. just do it first..
Trip to Thailand was WONDERFUL, FULFILLING, SATISFYING…especially the volunteering part…
I felt so useful, so worthy… helping out the needies, help them rebuild their houses, at least started a lil with the foundation. Layed bricks, shovel sand, twist metals carried cements etc.. under the hot scorching sun where your perspiration just run like an open tap.. but.. its all for a good cause, we all enjoyed doing it. Never would I find another special group of friends like them whom went through all this tough job with me..
The area I stayed at for the comm. service is like a rural district, things there are really quite cheap, the food.. I nearly died on the first 2 days we were there cause I went there with a fever… the weather was really unbearable given I was sick too..bt thank god I recovered midway..
Had authetic thai food at our worksite cause the villagers cooked for us. The lodging we stayed is really not for those typical spoilt city kids.. but we all enjoyed it..
Saw the real destruction sites of Tsunami, and the pics of the victims… Quite overwhelming. There are actually money-minded business men who took chance of the tsunami to take over washed out homeland of the villagers…how inhuman.. We get to work with other volunteers from the volunteer centres too, and the thai villagers of course. I would say the villagers are much nicer than those city ppl at Bangkok. Some volunteers had been there for like 3 months or more. Mostly Caucasians, think our lifestyle and mindset is very different from them. Singaporeans, typical work hard and die type.. seldom u would hear them able to depart from their normal life n do such stuffs. Lots are university graduates whom went backpacking and ended up staying to help reconstruction. Jeng maak maak…(very cool)
Yup and I learnt Thai too.. nice gentle language heehee.. see e way our thai fren spoke.. quite nice.. Yup we had a Local thai fren , Bint, with us throughout the whole trip, if not for him.. communication is a serious hurdle..he helped us translate whenever we need it.. taught us lots phrases too.. fun and nice guy.. think Singaporean guys r different from thais? Singapore guys are so scheming… so Superficial.. etc..well… theres more for me to find out anyway..
SMU had a project to build a Childcare centre at Bangmuang for those orphans from the tsunami, smusians build from scratch with the help of 2 thai supervisors. I only went there for 1 day outta e 2 weeks, cos I was at other 2 construction sites too. Quite nice la.. being exposed to different sites. I felt more helping out at other sites cos we really did work.. Eye power was very strong at the childcare site but everywhere is equally fun and fulfilling. Visited the villagers too and bought stuffs from them. They paint, weaved bags, did handicrafts stuffs for a living.
Would say that they are very resilient, One particular lady named Ooi. Really love her.. her strong, never say die spirit. Keep on fighting for the landrights of her village. Glad that she spoke English neet noy, so could communicate with her. She is very nice to us volunteers, make sure we eat full, gave us fruits, desserts etc..
There was once when we were at Laem pom village, the waves looked bit funny then when we were having our lunch break by the beach… so we went back inland, then later that night we heard there was actually an earthquake at Aceh tt probably caused the waves be funny.. We never see such waves in Singapore. The sea there is really open wide sea.. nothing blocking it at all… Very Very nice….greenish blue… not like in Singapore its brownish green… I can imagine how beautiful khaolak is before the destruction..
We went to Tam Nhang Waterfall too.. one of the highlights.. and we just played under the waterfall for quite some time.. so relaxing.. n saw rainbow right before my eyes.. nice..
We end it all with a mini concert night at our Amarin hotel the last night we were there .heehee.. heard interesting supernatural stories from my friend about the hotel.. every night we would play cards cause there are really not much entertainment there.. and I picked up how to play mahjong there too haha thanks to Jialing..
I really miss days back there, our long traveling time in the Song Tiao, an open air bus transport.. so windy.. now back here im having nausea feeling when I sit in cars.. miss the work we did for the people.. miss the fun gang I hang out with.. miss the big group of us whom worked together…miss the villagers… miss the whole special feeling.. Nice cheap seafood meals..communal dinner…mountain sceneries.. the beaches… the so carefree feeling… sigh… I would wanna go back there again…Time really past by so fast…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment